Monthly Utility Billing - January 2024
The City of Cotati Water and Sewer Utility Billing will be transitioning customers from bi-monthly to monthly billing in January 2024.
Monthly billing is standard for most utilities and businesses. In addition, monthly billing provides more timely information about water use and more frequent opportunities to identify and repair household leaks that might otherwise go undetected.
What you should know:
- With monthly billing, customers will receive 12 bills per year, instead of 6.
- Bills will be due monthly instead of bi-monthly.
- Bill Payments
- If you use Automatic Bill Payment Online, your payments will automatically adjust. This may be a good opportunity to check your card on file to verify the expiration date.
- If you established recurring payments through your Personal Banking website, you will likely need to adjust the payment frequency. These payment are mailed from your bank to the City and additional consideration should be made for delivery time.
- If you are registered for Automatic Draft with the City, no changes are needed and we will continue to process your payments on a monthly cycle based on your preferred day of the month.
- Check and Cash are still accepted at City Hall.
What are the benefits of monthly billing?
1. Smaller, manageable payments.
2. More efficient household budgeting: Your water bill will now arrive at a similar frequency with most other bills such as gas and electric or cellphone. Hopefully this helps simplify monthly budgeting for more customers .
3. Timely water use information: Monitoring your water use can help you understand consumption habits and manage water and related sewer costs. With the bi-monthly billing any unusual consumption could be be more than two months in the past from when you receive the bill.
4. Detect possible water leaks quickly: With more timely information, you’ll easily notice if your water use is different from normal. This allows for the early detection and prompt repair of leaks, reducing the possibility of a high water bill. If you want to learn more about detecting possible water leaks, sign up for leak alerts through our WaterSmart Portal here.
How will customers know about this change?
What can I do if I need financial assistance due to the transition?
Why is the City Moving to Monthly Billing?
With improvements in technology, most water providers have implemented the move to monthly billing as a best practice. Cotati has been investing in such technology to assist with leak detection and is now able to better account for consumption for billing on a more regular basis.
As a best practice water providers, like the City of Cotati, believe that monthly billing offers customers smaller, more manageable payments and better aligns with other monthly expenses, making it easier for for most to manage household budgets.
A monthly bill is also a better tool to assist in understanding consumption habits, because it provides more timely information about water use and more frequent opportunities to identify and repair leaks that might otherwise go undetected.
Can I still manage my account online?
What changes to the bill should I expect?
Your water charges cover a period of one month instead of two, and bill payment is due monthly rather than bi-monthly.
The meter reading periods for consumption usage will be approximately 30 days. However, depending on the read date, your new bill will typically reflect usage in a range of 28 to 32 days of service.
For both the Water and Sewer Services, the usage tiers will be halved as well as the base rates.
For more information please look at our Water and Sewer Usage and Base Charges Change Table Here.
Each new bill will provide new updated information on what is happening in the City. So check out our newsletters for what is happening near you.