- City Hall
- Police Programs
- Cadet Program
The Cotati Police Department Cadet Program is a group of young men and women who are interested in getting a closer look at law enforcement work by participating as Police Cadets. It is an opportunity to gain first-hand experience in the law enforcement field and the chance to view it as a career choice.
Once a person is accepted into the program, he or she will complete 13 areas of training and be allowed to wear the Cadet uniform. The 13 areas of training include such topics as radio/dispatch training, traffic control, CPR, learning the streets of Cotati, familiarity with radio codes, fingerprinting, etc. The Cadets are required to participate in a minimum of 10 hours per month of Cadet duties, which include ride time, community service time and meetings. If classes are offered within 15 months of becoming a Cadet, he/she will be expected to attend a 9-day Police Explorer/Cadet Academy. The Academy teaches many additional areas of law enforcement knowledge and has proven to be a valuable experience for attendees.
- Must be between 14 and 21 years old (8th grade completed)
- Must maintain a "C" average in school (not required after high school, but recommended)
- Must be of good moral character
- Must be able to pass a thorough background check
Normal Cadet Duties
- Ride in the patrol car with officers
- Take notes of All Point Bulletins for officers while on patrol
- Check out the patrol unit for the officer prior to the shift
- Assist on medical calls (CPR, First Aid)
- Fingerprint citizens at the Cotati Police Department
- Give tours of the Police Department
- Direct traffic at accidents and hazards
- Learn the street names and geography in Cotati
Special Cadet Duties
- Direct traffic and conducting crowd control during special events
- Assist dispatch in emergencies
- Assist with traffic speed surveys
- Participate in the Bike Patrol Program
For further information and dates when Cadets meet, please contact Officers Tyler Wardle or Mo Hamade, Cadet Advisors at 707-792-4611.
Please submit the following documents to the email of Officer Tyler Wardle and the email of Officer Mo Hamade.