For Yard, Home, and Rebates information on Droughts visit the Water Conservation Page.
Drought is Here. Save Water.
Our watershed is currently experiencing what may become the driest period ever recorded, but we can all do our part to preserve and extend our water supply through this dry period.
This winter follows two years of well below average rainfall totals. Despite early rain in October and again in December, rainfall totals remained low in 2021/ 2022, for the third consecutive year, Cotati's City Council adopted a Stage 2, voluntary community-wide water conservation target on May 25, 2021, which remains in effect.
Please continue to use water wisely. With the continued dry weather, the City has been asked about irrigating restrictions. Customers are encouraged to keep irrigation controllers shut off until mid to late March. Long-term forecasts call for rain in March which is greatly needed. However, if you are to irrigate now, please follow the water saving tips in making sure to eliminate water waste. Mainly, spot irrigate by hand and avoid turning irrigation timers back on until mid to late March. If unsure about water use prohibitions, please read the following FAQs.
For current regional water supply conditions, please go to Sonoma Water Page.
Water Waste Prohibitions
Cotati's Water Waste Ordinance prohibits waste of water due to breaks, leaks, or excess use. This includes:
- Leaking faucets, toilets, and appliances.
- Broken irrigation pipes, leaking irrigation valves, or broken sprinkler heads.
- Water runoff from your property outdoors. For example, overwatering your yard or misdirected sprinklers that "water" sidewalks and runoff into gutters is considered water waste.
Cotati's WaterInsight Portal
The WaterInsight Portal will help you track and analyze your water use online.
Cash for Grass Rebate
The City of Cotati is offering residential and commercial customers rebates in return for reducing the amount of lawn area in their landscapes and replacing with low water use landscapes.
Visit the City of Cotati's Water Conservation web page for additional information on ways you can help conserve.
Reservoir Levels Link
Visit Sonoma Water to view our current water supply levels.
Outdoor Water-Saving Tips
- Make sure all hoses have an automatic shut off nozzle (we provide free nozzles!).
- Limit irrigation to the hours of 8 pm to 6 am (less evaporation).
- Use the City's WaterInsight portal for irrigation recommendations to adjust irrigation schedules.
- Replace high water use turf with low water use landscaping (contact us first - you could get a rebate!)
- Sweep hard surfaces instead of using water (driveways, sidewalks, patios).
- If you need to get your car washed, go to sites that recycled the water.
- Cover pools and spas when not in use to prevent evaporation.
- Install a greywater system so you can reuse your laundry water to irrigate your yard (contact us first - you could get a rebate!).
- Install rainwater capture system so you can reuse rain water later (contact us first - you could get a rebate!).
Indoor Water-Saving Tips
- Complete a do-it-yourself WaterSmart check up (we provide kits!).
- Check toilets for leaks every few months (we provide free dye tabs!)
- Replace old showerheads with high efficiency models (we provide these to customers for free!).
- Fix leaks quickly.
- Replace old faucet aerators with high efficiency fixtures (we provide these to customers for free!)
- Take shorter showers.
- Turn off the faucet while brushing teeth or shaving.
- Only run dishwashers and clothes washers with full loads.
- Install hot water recirculating pumps (contact us first - you could get a rebate!).