The City of Cotati has two vacancies on the Measure S Citizen Oversight Committee. If you are interested in becoming a member, please fill out the application form and submit to Kevin Patterson, email@example.com, no later than 3pm on November 2nd.
About the Measure S Citizen Oversight Committee
On June 3, 2014, Cotati voters approved Measure G, the Cotati Essential Services Measure, amending Cotati Municipal Code Chapter 3.05 to extend the City's existing Measure A sales tax and set the rate at one cent for nine years, with annual audits and independent citizens' oversight of Measure G revenue and expenses, and on September 8, 2015, the City Council adopted Resolution No. 2015-64 establishing the 5-member Measure G Citizen Oversight Committee to provide the required oversight of Measure G revenue and expenditures. Measure S was adopted by the voters on November 2, 2020, which extended the existing Measure G sales tax until repealed by the voters.
The Measure S Citizen Oversight Committee meets at Cotati City Hall on an annual basis, no later than two (2) months following the prior fiscal year audit being accepted by the City Council. Additional meetings may be scheduled by the Committee at its discretion. Meetings are subject to, and shall be noticed and conducted in accordance with, the Ralph M. Brown Act, California Government Code Section 54950 et seq.
Members of the Measure S Citizen Oversight Committee:
1. Shall be residents of the City of Cotati;
2. Shall be appointed and shall serve in accordance with the process for Planning Commissioners as outlined in the Cotati Municipal Code Sections 2.16.015 (Appointment process) and 2.16.020 (Terms); and
3. Shall not be current City of Cotati employees or vendors of the City; and
4. If past employees or vendors of the City, may be eligible to serve on the Committee, provided that no conflicts of interest exist; and
5. May concurrently serve as Planning Commissioners and/or Design Review Committee members; and
6. Position is a volunteer, non-paid position; and
The Committee’s responsibilities include:
1. To serve in an advisory-only capacity to the City Council; and
2. To provide oversight of the revenues and expenses pertaining to the portion of the sales tax generated by Measure G in the prior fiscal year; and
3. To review the annual independent financial audit of the City performed by an independent auditor on sections pertaining to the revenue and expenses related to the portion of the sales tax generated by Measure G; and
4. Providing Council with an annual written report, as approved by a majority of the Committee members; and
5. Additional reports to Council may be provided to Council at the Committee’s and/or Council’s discretion, as approved by a majority of the committee members. All reports must be in provided in writing concurrent with the annual report, pursuant to the oversight committee duties, and agendized pursuant to the Brown Act; and
6. Providing input to City staff on community education on fiscal issues and outreach pursuant to the oversight committee duties; and
The Committee roles and responsibilities shall not include the following:
1. Oversight or review of the Enterprise and other funds generated independent of Measure G; and
2. Decision-making on spending priorities.